Saturday, October 21, 2017

Dewey's 10th Anniversary 24-Hour Read-a-Thon: 10 Books in 10 Years

Since it's the 10th anniversary of Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon, there is a special mini-challenge to commemorate the event.

The task is to recommend a published book for each year of the read-a-thon's existence (2007-2017). Though it appears to be 10 years...it's actually 11, giving a total of 11 great books.

As I started working on this challenge, I quickly realized that it would very easily stand as its own post and would likely make an update post far too bulky. So...bonus read-a-thon post! Whee!

It took me a decent chunk of the day to finally get it all together, but here are my recommendations for some fabulous 2007-2017 reads...

2007

2007 was a fantastic year for books. I actually had four potential slam dunks on this one, but I had to go with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. It's the culmination of the series that was responsible for creating a whole new generation of fervent readers and for reigniting the desire to read in so many others. It didn't hurt that this baby is awesome. It's not my favorite of the Harry Potter series (I'm a lover of Prisoner of Azkaban), but there is no disputing that this is a read well worth the time.


2008

Another powerhouse series showed up in 2008. The first book of Suzanne Collins's amazing trilogy...The Hunger Games. When I read this series, I flat out devoured it. I waited until all three books had been released and read them back to back. I stayed up all night to get through the second book, Catching Fire because I just couldn't put it down. I busted out the entire trilogy in less than a weekend. It's just that good.


2009

If you're looking for a brilliant and beautiful historical fiction read, look no further. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford is just....ah. It's sad and heartbreaking, but beautiful and redeeming. It centers around the Japanese-American interment during World War II, with the setting focused on the Pacific Northwest. It's one of those books that just makes your heart hurt...in a good way.


2010

I loved Amy & Roger's Epic Detour soooooo much. I have not stopped talking up this book since I read it. It was my 2014 Book of the Year and has been featured in several of my favorite lists and Top Ten Tuesday and Top 5 Wednesday posts. When I start talking YA fiction, Amy & Roger is one of my go-to recommends. Hands down.


2011

There is such a good wide range of genre representation in this list. I'm mildly proud of myself for that at the moment. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern was a book I chose to read based upon the cover and a friend recommendation and it was a solid win. It was a finalist in my 2012 Book of the Year and, like Amy & Roger, has been talked up time and time again. This one ranks high on my reread list because I honestly miss the magic. I need to feel that book love again.


2012

And this is why The Night Circus was only a finalist and not a winner for the 2012 Book of the Year. Jenny Lawson, also known as The Bloggess, wrote a hilarious memoir that I nearly died laughing over. Rarely do I laugh out loud when I read a book, but that happened several times with this one. In fact, I was so enjoying Let's Pretend This Never Happened, that it resulted in several mid-read texts to friends who were also familiar with her and her blog. I couldn't shut up about how funny she is. If you need a laugh and you want to feel like your life is pretty darned normal, just grab Jenny's book for a read. She'll make you feel better. I promise.


2013

Looking for a book with all the feel goods that you'll want to hug when you're done? The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George is for you. I did not want this book to end. I just loved, loved, loved it. It's cute and sweet and just a nice, relaxing read. This is probably the best beach read on the list. 


2014

Two memoirs in a list of eleven books. Wow. I really didn't see that coming for myself. But...I will tell you that Now I See You by Nicole C. Kear was a total surprise for me. I really didn't expect it to be as good as it was. It blew me away. Kear is brutally honest about her life while still keeping things light and fun (something hard to do when your primary premise is a debilitating medical disorder). She has a way with words and just makes you feel like you've known her forever. If you read memoirs of any kind...grab this one. Yesterday.


2015

Oooh...oooh...oooh. One of my most favorite books ever. Seriously. And yet, one of the books I am still most confused by. It's complicated to explain. The Library at Mount Char is haunting, intriguing, freakish, and fabulous. It is completely mesmerizing and, if you are anything like me, will leave you nearly out of breath and wondering "what the heck just happened?". It's so incredibly awesome. There is little that can be said without dripping out spoilers, but if you want a book that's going to blow your mind (even several years after the fact)...well...we have a winner.


2016

This right here is a story of meant to be. I bought The Bookshop on the Corner honestly on accident, thinking it was a different read. Super pleasant surprise for me when I just flat out adored it. Again, a nice and breezy read that would be good on the beach or for a travel read. It's comfortable without just being fully predictable and it was just a decently fun read. Pure and simple.


2017

This is the only book on the list that I have not already read. But...I haven't read any 2017 published books yet. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green is on my read-a-thon list at slot number 3, so there is a chance that I will at least get it started before the read-a-thon has come to an end. I have super high hopes for it, as I think do a lot of other Dewey readers. This book keeps showing up in posts. It has to be the top mentioned book this go round. I have high faith in Green, so let's hope he doesn't let me down.


And there you have it...a nice little mini-library. My 10 (11) Books in 10 (11) Years. Stock up on these babies (and grab the remaining books in the series reads) and you won't find a bad book in the bunch. (Again...high hopes for Turtles.)

Did any of my picks make your list? Or were any of my picks a pass for you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips