Saturday, October 7, 2017

Book Blogger Hop: Classic Horror


It's Saturday, so that means Book Blogger Hop. It's operated by Billy at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. Each week (on Friday), a new book related question is posed to participating bloggers.
This Week's Question: 


Both Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein are considered classics. Have you ever read either of them?




Well...this is fairly embarrassing. I'm in the midst of getting and English degree. I've considered an emphasis in literature. I read a wide range of genres and I have a list of classics I'm happily reading through a bit at a time. And yet...I haven't read either of these novels. Yes...I'm overly familiar with the authors (particularly Mary Shelley), but somehow I have yet to put my hands on either book. Travesty.

Both books are on my TBR, so eventually I'll get my crap together. Maybe. Horror reads just typically aren't my picks. This wasn't always the case. I went through a phase in junior high where I read nothing but Anne Rice, Stephen King, and the like. It's a bit curious that I didn't grab either of these during that period of time. Maybe I just had an issue with the idea of reading a classic at that point. I was used to classics being books assigned by an English teacher that just felt...old. And boring. The good news is that I have...matured? beyond that superficial analysis. I've read more, I've experienced more. And now I can read in a way where I can appreciate the quality of a classic.

I guess books just have to come around at the right point in your life. I have to be in the right mood and the right frame of mind. Sometimes, you just can't take on a particular type of book. It just doesn't fit. And the last thing that I need is to take on one of these fantastic reads only to either lose interest because I'm not in the right reading mood or to wind up placing it "in the freezer" (for those familiar with Friends). One of these days it will happen. The stars will align. And if that doesn't come soon enough? Well...I'll just have to bite the bullet and dive in.

What books are on your TBR that you are embarrassed to admit you haven't read yet?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips